[Application] Minerva Higgins

• A) General Info:

How old are you?
    I am 40.

Where do you live?
    Coastal California. Active most days 0130-0600 Eve.

Do you speak any languages besides English?
    I do not.

What characters are you planning on applying with? If transferred, please include dates.

I currently run four accounts, and from these I’d likely bring in:

• Minerva Higgins. 75mil SP. Can fly virtually all relevant subcaps. Good links skills.
    • The Taste. 13mil SP. Dictor/interceptor alt. Would also rage inject a Nightmare/Loki if helpful.
    • DrEjecta. 39mil SP. Dread alt: good skills for Moros and Nag. Can also fly Panther and JF.
    • Shiyurida Tadaruwa. 29mil SP. Perfect scanner. Also Sabre/DST.
    • The Snooch. 7mil SP. DST/BR right now. Might also rage inject something useful, like a recon.

I have 6 other characters that are just for passive PI. I don't like bloating corp numbers with PI alts but might bring them in if there's an alt corp or other setup.

Disclaimer on dreads: I’ve been in low-class wspace. The last time I used a cap was in 2016 (I was in OpSec living in a POS with Wil Helmm). It was mostly used for filthy C5 krabbing. I have the SP but need to get up to speed and test on Sisi.

B) Pilot Overview

Why are you leaving your current corporation? Are you leaving on good terms?

My corp (Viper Sovereign) is disbanding. We were a C4 group strongly focused on heavy armor brawling. But USTZ wormhole space is in a rough spot, and to improve content we moved into a C2-NS a couple months ago with plans for whaling/nano. After a rocky transition we shut down this week. I am on very good terms, and could get recommendations from ex-CEO/leadership if requested.

Do you have any previous experience in a small gang setting? If so, what roles did you fly?

I’ve done mostly small gang wspace brawling the last several years, where I would typically multibox logi+scanner/sabre. But as we were moving to a C2-NSS I put in time to get up to speed on nano. For this I’ve been flying mostly standard things like Stiletto/ONI/Sabre. My positioning and transversal matching need work. Null still feels odd after so many years in wormholes. And I cannot multibox nano well. But I am eager to improve at these.

How do you plan to make ISK during your time in Full Broadside?

My number one goal for ISK making is to never take away from prime-time PVP availability. I mostly do passive things in off hours, including production in high sec. If passive PI is viable I might run that. Not overly worried about ISK.

C) Fitting/Ship Theory

Link a small-gang ship you enjoy flying. Discuss some of the limitations of this ship, how it could be complemented in a gang, and its strengths.

In the last weeks of our corp, we often had few numbers online. So I was brainstorming microgang setups for our null static that were different than simply “Stiletto plus some ONIs.” Our CEO suggested an interesting BS+support concept that some other small gang groups had tried. The core ship is a nano BS, and I worked up a pretty standard RHML Nano Phoon to start with:

[Typhoon, Null Nano Phoon]

Nanofiber Internal Structure II
    Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
    Damage Control II
    Ballistic Control System II
    Ballistic Control System II
    Large Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste

500MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
    Large Micro Jump Drive
    Heavy Stasis Grappler II
    Warp Disruptor II
    Heavy F-RX Compact Capacitor Booster, Navy Cap Booster 800

Heavy Energy Neutralizer II
    Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Mjolnir Heavy Missile

Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst I
    Large Polycarbon Engine Housing I
    Large Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer I

Hornet EC-300 x5
    Vespa II x5
    Warrior II x10

Inferno Fury Heavy Missile x500
    Mjolnir Fury Heavy Missile x500
    Nova Fury Heavy Missile x500
    Navy Cap Booster 800 x25
    Caldari Navy Mjolnir Heavy Missile x500
    Caldari Navy Nova Heavy Missile x500
    Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile x500
    Nanite Repair Paste x400

It’s not too bad on cap, and goes nearly 1800 m/s cold with links. Clearly it will have application issues for smaller targets. So to compliment this, the concept is to have tackle, anti-tackle, and webs position/anchor around the BS as it kites. I had worked up standard fits for these. Webs would either be a Huguinn or inexpensive web Loki. If we had the pilots, we’d use a Keres and Osprey Navy for tackle/anti-tackle. With fewer pilots, we’d just have an Orthrus fill both those roles. The phoon pilot ideally multiboxes a backpack Bifrost with links orbiting himself. Everything is cheap and it can work with just 3 pilots.

Link a really embarrassing lossmail. Walk us through how it happened and what it taught you about the mechanic you died to, or improved your overall game knowledge?

I don’t have too many extremely embarrassing losses. Will link this one from a few months ago:
    https://zkillboard.com/kill/81671453/

I was hunting in our C4 static chain with my scanner and came upon a couple of BSs which were clearly not rollers. We had few people on, so I moved up my Sabre and Orthrus on separate accounts along with a few other people. I was the only Sabre and was focused hard on trying to trap and bubble the Hyperion on both sides of the hole. He polarized himself eventually. But I was so focused on my Sabre and scanner that my Orthrus ended up sitting next to him, also polarized, with its MWD running but not moving. I had forgotten to double click in space after jump timer expired and actually kite away. So of course I was grappled and died. A 3rd party came in soon after and scattered all of us.

Lesson learned: I need way more practice to multibox fast ships. Doing so much brawling has limited my grid awareness for kitey platforms. I eventually did a lot of reconfiguration with Eve-O Preview to get a better setup for MBing, but this is still an improvement area.

Link a fit for a small fleet composition that you would take out in a fleet if you had 20 pilots. Explain what ships you would bring to support it (logi, webs, links, etc, but you don't need to post fits for them.)

Twenty is a lot compared to what I’m used to, and at those numbers I would probably go Trig. Kikis are a good, inexpensive option if the situation doesn’t warrant something heavier. I’m used to running armor Kikis with a single remote rep, supported by Deacons. But I’d assume it’s all shield in null. A kiting setup plus supporting nano logi around the 300mil ISK price point:

[Kikimora, Medium Gang Kiki]

Damage Control II
    Entropic Radiation Sink II
    Entropic Radiation Sink II

Caldari Navy Warp Disruptor
    Republic Fleet Medium Shield Extender
    Coreli A-Type 5MN Microwarpdrive

Veles Light Entropic Disintegrator, Mystic S
    [Empty High slot]

Small Core Defense Field Extender II
    Small Thermal Shield Reinforcer II
    Small EM Shield Reinforcer II

Agency 'Pyrolancea' DB5 Dose II

Mystic S x1000
    Occult S x1000
    Meson Exotic Plasma S x500
    Nanite Repair Paste x150

Pilots with max Small Disintegrator Specialization could swap the Veles out for the T2. Abyssal the Entropics if desired.

For logi support, some nano Scimis:

[Scimitar, Medium Gang Scimitar]

Damage Control II
    Capacitor Power Relay II
    Caldari Navy Power Diagnostic System

50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
    Gistum A-Type Kinetic Deflection Amplifier
    Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery
    Large Shield Extender II
    Large Shield Extender II

Pithum C-Type Medium Remote Shield Booster

Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing II
    Medium Core Defense Field Extender II

Acolyte II x5
    Warrior II x4

Agency 'Overclocker' SB5 Dose II

Nanite Repair Paste x200

A notional overall fleet comp might be:

2x Stiletto
    1x Sabre
    10x Kiki
    3x Scimi
    1x Backpack links
    1x Keres
    1x Hyena
    1x Boosher

• Members

Good to see a friendly face! +1 for me

• Members

Most of our corp (and really, alliance) tends to be younger. Are you used to flying with people in their 20s?

This is a very good app, plus Wil is vouching and I don't think he's ever done that before. +1.

• @Otto-Penken

My current corp setup is the same (two older guys, then all 20-somethings). In many ways I prefer it. Younger guys are often less likely to get wife/job aggro and can focus more autistically on the game. Also I can sit here with my pension and my oceanfront property and poke fun at your Millenial woes.

• +1 for fits, willingness to improve, formatting, and the +1 from Will vouching. +1 for trial

• @Wil-Helmm

Hey Wil! When I saw you on the Zkill leaderboard I figured this was a group checking out.

• I tend to offer mostly feedback on fittings in applications and I think I'll offer some on yours too. For your scimitar I'd recommend swapping your a-type for an adaptive and dropping a polycarb for a kinetic rig. Personally I think the scimitar is already plenty fast with skirmish links (and a nano) to where you're probably not getting much benefit out of going 100m/s faster. I understand the theory to plug the kinetic hole, but I think you can handle it with a rig and balance out the rest of your resists that much better.

Anyways, good app, and I've liked your answers so far. +1

• @timoxazero Just tried it in Pyfa and you're right. Quite a bit extra EHP with your suggestion for pretty minimal speed loss. I focused too much on matching the Scimi's velocity with the Kikis.

Very encouraging, I am definitely looking for a corp who enjoys brainstorming fits.

• Application accepted. Welcome to Full Broadside!